While many correlate eye allergies with the spring, just as many people experience symptoms during the autumn as well. Above nasal symptoms such as sneezing and congestion, symptoms that affect the eyes can severely impair one's ability to go about one's normal functions.
Eyes are often itchy, swollen, and red and often sting or water. Vision can often be affected as well by blurriness or light sensitivity. These symptoms can be so debilitating for those suffering that they interfere with all aspects of everyday life - from work to play.
For contact lens wearers eye allergies are frequently worse because contact lenses can often attract allergens. In addition, we tend to rub itchy eyes, which can result in even more irritation for contact lens wearers. Use of artificial tears can sometimes alleviate discomfort but many lens wearers choose to switch to glasses. If you wear contacts and experience fall allergies, it could help you to try switching brands, particularly to single use, daily disposables which minimize the potential for pollen collection. If you are experiencing discomfort from your contacts, schedule an appointment at our Manhattan, NY eye care practice to discuss your options.
Regardless of whether you wear contacts or not, here are some tips to minimize exposure and symptoms of autumn ocular allergy symptoms:
- Check the local pollen count and remain indoors when counts are high, particularly at peak times such as midday.
- Use big sunglasses to block the pollen from entering your eyes.
- Use a clothes dryer rather than hanging clothing out to dry whenever possible.
- Rather than sweeping, clean floors with a damp mop, which is more effective at cleaning away allergens.
- Use chilled eye drops or use cold compresses for soothing irritation.
- Take a shower every night to remove any allergens you may have collected throughout the day.
While over the counter medications and eye drops can sometimes help relieve symptoms, you may need something stronger. In this case, schedule an appointment with your eye doctor now to talk about your options and begin effective treatment. Our Manhattan, NY eye care practice would be happy to assist you in regaining your comfort this fall!