Living with it: Practical lifestyle modifications
Before looking at more invasive options, like punctal plugs or other plug-n-drop methods, consider these general tips on dealing with Dry Eye by the leading Dry Eye doctor NYC.
- Good hydration – drink plenty of water, reducing caffeine intake
- Environmental control (humidify your life, minimize impact of heat & a/c by turning down, redirecting vents etc)
- Eyewear, e.g. Panoptx (day), Tranquileyes (night)
- Identify and replace (if possible) medications which are causing or exacerbating dry eye
- Employ pain management techniques as necessary
- Modify activities
Experimental Drugs and Surgery
Here’s where we get into DHEA drops (addressing hormonal factor in dry eye), or volunteering to be a guinea pig in a clinical trial.
- DHEA drops
- Doxycycline eyedrops
- Drugs in clinical trials
In some cases, depending on the cause, there may be reason to explore certain surgical approaches such as tarsorrhaphy (partial surgical closure of the eyelids to limit exposure) or other eyelid interventions.
Some eye doctors are proponents of amniotic membrane transplantation (specifically in cases of conjunctivochalasis) though we have not seen evidence that dry eye patients are benefitting from this.
For additional options see the links below or call our offices.